Friday, December 17, 2004

Christmas Cookies

In preparation for our holiday party tomorrow night, I've begun making the dough for the cookies we'll be serving. So far, I've made the dough for the spritz cookies from Cooks Illustrated and the dough for the chocolate crinkles that have been a Christmas tradition in my family since I was a kid. It's a funny thing -- I don't like chocolate cake and I'm more likely to pick creme brulee over a chocolate torte for dessert (though I admit I do have a soft spot for Nutella), but every year I insist on making these cookies and then have to use all of my self-restraint(which is in limited availability these days) to avoid devouring them before my guests show up.
They're simple to make and as long as you don't overcook them, they're tender with a light chocolate flavor. The other great thing about them is that they don't require cookie cutters or rolling out dough, both of which can make me crazy. So, just in case you come to the party and they're all gone or if you want to make them yourself, here's the recipe:

Chocolate Crinkles

Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 C sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted & cooled (the better chocolate you use, the better the cookies are)
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
2 C flour
confectioners sugar

Directions:
1. Mix eggs, sugar, chocolate, baking powder, oil and vanilla with a whisk until well combined.
2. Gradually fold in flour with a rubber spatula.
3. Refrigerate dough for at least 1-2 hours. (I typically store the dough in the fridge for a day or more until I'm ready to make the cookies.)
4. Preheat oven to 375.
5. Roll chilled dough into 1" balls and roll balls in powdered sugar to cover.
6. Place balls 1" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
7. Cool on a cookie rack until completely cool and store in an airtight container. Cookies are best within 3 days of baking.

Now, we've just got gingerbread and Nigella's Peanut Squares to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home