Monday, March 14, 2005

Weekend Breakfast

Most days on WW, I have some high-fiber cereal and skim milk for breakfast -- not very exciting, but it means I've got plenty of points for later in the day. On the weekends, I like to indulge a bit, but still make healthy choices (especially because I am inclined to use all my extra points on margaritas on Girls' Night or some other mishbehaving).

These Multigrain Pancakes have become one of my favorite WW-friendly recipes, because they satisfy my desire for indulgent breakfast food, but also allow me to have a decent sized serving. (Sure, one scoop of vanilla ice cream satisfies, but one pancake? no way.) Anyway, they're easy to make, and even if Dan and I eat the entire batch ourselves, it's just 5 points each (including some maple syrup and bananas). (If I want to be more point-conservative, I use egg substitute and apple sauce and it's just 4 points for the batch of pancakes.)

Multigrain Pancakes
adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients:
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole-wheat flour
1/4 C quick-cooking oats
2 T yellow cornmeal
2 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 C 2% milk
1/4 C plain fat-free yogurt
1 T vegetable oil (I sometimes use applesauce)
1 egg (I use egg substitute sometimes)

Directions:
1. Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl with whisk.
2. Combine wet ingredients and mix well with whisk.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until well combined.
4. Heat non-stick pan to medium, spray pan with Pam and drop 1/4 C of batter to make each pancake.
5. Keep the pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven while preparing the remaining batter.
6. Top pancakes with 1/2 a banana and 1 T of warmed maple syrup. (You can use twice as much of the fake stuff, but why would you?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you use applesauce and egg substitute it's 4 points for the WHOLE recipe?

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home